CHILD SAFETY DAY 2013
On Saturday, September 14, 2013, the A.W. Smith Law Firm will host our second annual Child Safety Day from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. This FREE event will be held in the parking lot of Community United Methodist Church at 3301 West Broadway, Columbia, Missouri.
Several organizations have donated their time to inform and educate parents and children on various topics regarding the physical safety and emotional well-being of children. Below is a list of organizations and topics that will be covered at this year’s Child Safety Day:
- Health Department - FREE flu vaccine mist!
- Peak Performance - Concussions in Kids’ Sports
- Kimberly Dohm – Proper Car Seat Installation
- Boone County Sherriff’s Department – Information about D.A.R.E.
- Youth Community Coalition – Anti-Bullying
- Dr. Erin Lammers – Prescription Drugs and Kids
- CoMo Cares – Safety Activity for Kids
- Empire Roller Rink – Roller Skating Safely
Several emergency vehicles will also be on hand for kids to see and tour:
- The Staff for Life Black & Gold Helicopter
- Columbia Police Department Police Car
- Columbia Fire Department Fire Truck
- Women’s & Children’s Hospital Ambulance
Child Safety Day is more than an educational event—it’s also fun! Kids can play in a bounce house, and we will have balloon artists and a face painter. If you get hungry, don’t worry! We’ll have plenty of refreshments on hand by Jimmy John's and Gold Nugget Popcorn.
Throughout the day, we will raffle off various prizes, but the grand prizes are a boy’s child-size bike and helmet and a girl’s child-size bike and helmet. For every five cans of food you donate to our food drive for the Food Bank of Central and Northeast Missouri, you will receive one raffle entry.
We believe it is important for every child to be equipped with the tools and knowledge to have a safe and happy childhood and we hope to help provide that through Child Safety Day.